Why is it that the slowest time of day for commuters is called rush hour?

{ Posted on 7:24 PM by Josh Corken }
Asked by: Mason from Indianapolis, Indiana

Mason,

I'm glad there is one person out there with a decent question! You see, this one made me think a bit, but thinking is my favorite pastime, so it works out pretty well.

The logical answer would be that the name "rush hour" refers to all of the workaholics scampering home to see their dysfunctional families, before dinner is ready. Therefore, they are "rushing" to get out of the city. I find it funny though, that in some cases, the traffic moves slower than you could walk, so why not walk home? Simple. We are getting lazier and fatter each year, so why walk or ride your bike, when you can drive, pollute, and take the time to realize how depressed you really are, debating whether to quit your job or not!

I also think that another question, based on this topic, should be addressed. Why do they call it rush "hour?" I'm not sure what city you're from, but here, in Indianapolis, the rush does not only last for an hour! I propose they coin a new term for this time of day.

1 Response to "Why is it that the slowest time of day for commuters is called rush hour?"

Well said good sir

Post a Comment